Your Child should be able :
The most frequently occurring difficulties:
Children who are very good at counting
To locate himself in space
Competences of average children entering Primary School : they are able to
* complete a coordinate graph.
* locate top, bottom, below, above, sides, of an object in space and on a sheet of paper.
* make a puzzle of 25 pieces by locating first the pieces to be placed at the edge and by putting the pieces in the right direction.
* locate squares in a square of 36 squares by marking the squares identical to the model .
* place in a simple square containing 25 squares an object when you give its coordinates and conversely, give the coordinates of a square (it may seem beyond the usual objectives, but with relatively little training, almost all the children succeed in doing it).
* shift an object along the lines of a square while following directions suggested by arrows .
* find the way out of a simple labyrinth, presenting one or 2 obstacles.
How to detect whether your Child has difficulties?
* A child who cannot locate the corners of a puzzle or the edges has problems of location: you will notice it because he/she seeks to place at the edge of the puzzle pieces which do not have a straight edge. Also he/she takes a long time to put the pieces in the right direction.
* A child who often makes mistakes in a coordinate graph and who has difficulties to complete even the simplest ones (crossing colors and objects).
* A child who has trouble with square graphs and does not manage to place reference marks in small tables (less than 36 squares).
To improve the capability of location, it is necessary to practise games of observation and handling. It is necessary to give to a disorganized child a method to find locations, particularly locations in square graphs: show him/her how to find a location starting from the edge for the simplest square graphs, then you can proceed line by line when the difficulty increases ( give him/her a ruler). The computer is also an interesting tool to develop the capacities of location: they make available many labyrinths, puzzles and small games.